Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Long and Winding Road . .

Well, Winter was not going to give us up without a fight. The closer we got to the American Boarder the more it started to snow. We decided to cross at the Rainbow bridge, thinking that would be the least congested spot. Thanks to modern technology, there is now an app you can down load to tell you what the wait times are at the bridges. We had no problems crossing, the boys were excited we were in the United States. Nate immediatly asked, "how long until Florida?" Our response was, "a long way Nate, a long way." We headed for Buffalo, the longer we were on teh highway, the more it started to snow. The boys thankfully were occupied in the back seat and we were able to drive for about an hour before stopping for dinner. Sadly, the snow continued.

We finally stopped for a quick bite to eat where we watched the snow continue to fall. After supper, the boys watched a movie and then fell asleep for the night. I too drifted off at about 10:00pm. Luckily, I am married to a driving machine, I really don't know how he does it but he was able to comfortably drive all night while the rest of up slept. We woke up at about 6:30, we were just passed the boarder to South Carolina. We stopped for breakfast where Will had a stack of baby pancakes and Nate had a make a face pancake. They provided strawberries for eyes, bannans for a mouth and yogurt to draw on some hair. He thought that breakfast was the best thing ever! We returned to the car with me at ther wheel. Ken napped for an hour and was refreshed and ready to go again (I told you, he's a machine). I insisted he continue to rest, so I drove for another 2 hours. We stopped for gas shortly before the Georgia border. The temperature was still only about 12 degrees but the sun felt so good. Will and Nate changed into T-shirts and sandals and we were off again.

After 24 striaght hours in the car we arrived. It never ceases to amaze me how fantastic Will and Nate are in the car. Yes, they were going a little stir crazy at the very end but who could blame them. Ken and I were too!

It was all worth it. We checked in to our condo, 2 bed rooms, great kitchen and a view of the Gulf, we could not ask for more. After quickly unpacking Will and Nate could no longer be contained, we had to get to the pool. Ken headed to the grocery store while the boys and I burned off some energy. They were both slightly tentative at first but after about 5 minutes Nate was swimming back and forth and Will was making huge cannon balls! I swam with them for a while, then I made my way to the hot tub where I could watch them and see the beautiful marina that is just behind the pool. We did it, we found summer and it is even better then I remebered!

No comments:

Post a Comment