Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Today I saw dolphins . . .

As I write today's entry, the boys are peacefully sleeping and Ken and I are sitting on the balcony watching the end of the sun set. The beach has cleared out and most of the boats seem to have docked for the night. The traffic however is picking up, lots of people have places to go apparently!

Today started off very slowly. I slept in until 9:00am! Ken had gotten up and gotten breakfast for the boys. He brought me toast and tea in bed while I watched morning television and the ocean through our window. Eventually, the boys climbed in with me and we had Boate family snuggle time. Finally, it was time to get up and get dressed. Ken was taking the boys to a baseball game. Baseball is not my favourite thing, I offered to go with them but I think Ken wanted a bit of boy bonding time and I was happy to be a lone for a few hours.

The boys headed out and I headed for the beach. I had been wanting to take a stroll along the coast since we arrived. Strolling is not really possible with two very active little boys so I enjoyed every second. There was a soft breeze to keep the temperature comfortable, the water was warm and gently lapping at the shore. I walked all the way to the pier, I then walked to the end of the Pier and stood to admire the endless blue water. Soon I heard, "there, dolphins!" I looked to my left and saw the shimmering cresting fin of a dolphin, it dove back down immediately but the water was so clear that I could see it's dark spot in the ocean. I watched it follow the coast line, I again looked to my left to see two more The three of them played in the shallow warm waters and gave all of us tourists quite a show. I eventually left the pier and followed the dolphins as I made my way back to our condo. I stopped here and there where large groups of people were excitedly pointing and gesturing. I stopped just behind one family that had waded out into the surf. Their little girl kept saying, "dolphin, dolphin, come here dolphin." I think the dolphin heard her. At one point there were maybe 3 meters between myself and the dolphin nearest the shore. Eventually, I tore myself away and headed back to John's Pass for a little shopping. The one thing I have wanted since arriving is a new bathing suit. 3 boys are generally not that patient while I try on a bunch of things so I took advantage of my opportunity. I poked around a few shops with no success. Then I came across one store with great service and interesting suits. Success, I found a suit I loved. It cost way more than I wanted to spend but when it's love it's love. To avoid spending any more money, I headed back to the condo for a quick lunch.

I was just slipping on my new suit and was about to leave a note for the boys when I heard the door open. In came a happy looking Will and Ken carrying a very sleepy Nate. We tucked Nate and Ken into bed while Will and I headed for the beach. Will happily played and sang in the sand and surf. Will and Nate do get along remarkably well but I think Will was happy for a little time alone. After a couple of hours we headed back as Will had decided that it was time for the pool. Ken and Nate slept on so we quietly snuck back out and to the pool. Will quickly met a new friend who happens to be from Orillia! I watched them play and chatted with the boy's Grandfather about the highlights of Madeira beach and what brought him here. After an hour, we headed back upstairs to figure out what we were going to do for dinner.

Nate finally woke up but we were all feeling a bit lazy so we decided to eat out tonight. We found a great little sea food grill with a cool aquarium for the boys to watch. We had a great meal together . Despite Nate's marathon nap he was still exhausted. We quickly put the boys to bed and now here we are. Ken and I will be heading to bed shortly as tomorrow is another day at Busch Gardens. Look out coasters, Ken is coming for you!

2 comments:

  1. A great day for you Lisa.... but who won the game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome.. I am HUGE baseball fan and it's 15 degrees here today which means the boys of summer are almost ready to begin their season.
    Glad you had a relaxing you day! I find dolphins so mesmerizing to watch!
    Are Will and Nate into eating all this fresh fish! Have fun at Busch Gardens tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete